One of NABMA’s priorities is to provide training and development opportunities to all those involved with the management of markets in order to promote the high degree of professionalism that exists within the industry.
Nabma training is delivered in different formats:
Continuing Professional Development
A series of one day CPD events on specialist subjects affecting markets.
Plans for 2019 include topics such as:
“Crowd Science”, managing large crowds safely with reference to Christmas markets and other specialist market events.
“Budget Management”, how to develop financial budgets and source external income.
Further details on CPD events for 2019 will be circulated soon, and Nabma is always happy to consider requests for other areas of training from members (subject to demand)
Diploma in Market Administration
The Diploma provides an excellent introduction to many aspects of markets administration and is recognised as the premier markets qualification for local authority and private market operators – and those from allied organisations.
Why obtain the diploma?
- Experienced market officers achieve formal recognition of their skills with this level 4 national qualification.
- Inexperienced officers new to the industry receive fast-track training into all aspects of market management.
- A formal qualification empowers officers to carry out duties more effectively, due to senior management having increased confidence in ability.
- All those attending the course develop valuable networking contacts with other market officers.
- Officers completing the DMA often report increased income on their markets after introducing initiatives learnt on the course.
- Effective route to further education. On completion of the diploma, students will then be able to attend a one day bridging course with the IPM at Manchester Metropolitan University leading to enrolment onto a post graduate course including a Master’s degree in Place Management.
2019 Diploma Programme Overview
Candidates come together to attend 3 two-day courses in Derby on specialist subjects and complete three assignments to demonstrate what they have learnt from the experience.
26 & 27 February
Introduction to the DMA
Communication & Presentation Skills
Writing for Press
Working with Traders and Stakeholders
Creating Joint Initiatives
26 & 27 March
Markets Law & Market Charters
The need for formal Markets Policies
The Law on Street Trading
Effects of BREXIT on European Legislation
Legal Protection of Markets
Trading Standards & the Real Deal
Food Hygiene Regulations
16 & 17 April
Assessing Safety Risks in Markets/HASAW
How markets are kept safe for the public
Market Technical Operations
Effective Use of Market Resources
Sourcing External Finance
Sustaining and Developing Markets
Business Planning for Promotions
Attending the full programme and attaining the Diploma enables you to demonstrate that you meet the markets industry standard.
The venue is The Holiday Inn Derby Riverside with excellent refreshments and a high quality buffet lunch to ensure a comfortable learning environment, all inclusive of the course fee.
The £1000 (+vat) fee can be split over two financial years should your training budget be tight – and some travel costs can be assisted where necessary.
(Training is available to non-Nabma members at the full price of £2,000 + vat)
For further information & to book see links below or contact our Professional Development Consultant – Stephen Pickering by email on: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07756 326022